Written by Alexandra Moxin
MaRi Eagar is a cryptoasset and blockchain consultant working in this industry since 2013. MaRi is a Chartered Accountant and Business Strategist with an international career at Deloitte, HSBC and Standard Bank. MaRi is an instigator of networks for strategic change, she is passionate about economic inclusion and financial wellbeing as cornerstones for future sustainable societies. MaRi is Founder and Chair of DigitalFutures B.U.I.L.D. (Blockchain User-Centric Innovation and Leadership Development). She is passionate about the cryptocurrency and blockchain space and is a leader and core contributor in multiple areas including:
Medium Author of “The Crypto and Blockchain Generation: Distributed Leadership and Organizational Development in the Crypto and Token Economy: Principles, Pathways and Practices.”
Creator of the World’s First Crypto and Blockchain Leadership Development Book and Program - a Project of the Invisible College (published on GitBook).
Founder of the BC Blockchain Forum, partner of Blockchain@UBC and advisor to the Lifeboat Foundation New Money Systems Board and Human Trajectories Board.
A distinguished leader, MaRi was nominated for finalist Innovator Idol 2012 (Ontario Centres of Excellence) and was listed on Thomson Reuters Top 40 Social Influencers in Finance, Innovation and Risk, 2017. We cover a lot about the cryptocurrency and blockchain initiatives MaRi is leading and is passionate about, the cryptogeneration and cryptophilosophy in this episode so get comfortable and hope you enjoy!
In this episode we cover
- MaRi’s background
- DigitalFutures B.U.I.L.D.
- The British Columbia Blockchain Forum
- The motivation behind MaRi cofounding and founding these organizations and the origin stories
- What makes BC Blockchain Forum unique and some of the goals it hopes to achieve in 2018
- The upcoming Émilie du Châtelet Crypto Philosophy Salon and Roundtables
- MaRi’s Crypto and Blockchain Leadership Development Book and Program - Cryptomuse: a Project of the Invisible College, on GitBook
- MaRi’s book on The Crypto and Blockchain Generation: Distributed Leadership and Organizational Development in the Crypto and Token Economy: Principles, Pathways, Principles and Practices on Medium
- Trends in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space
- More about the cryptogeneration
- How to reach out to MaRi if you’re interested in contributing
- Digging into MaRi’s background and her early involvement in cryptography
- MaRi’s thoughts on the good, bad and the ugly in the cryptospace
- The good: creating a more distributed economy and its positive effect on mental and physical health
- The bad: people getting wrapped up solely in the wealth generation aspect, exchanges being hacked and money being locked in wallets
- The ugly: people setting up paper ICOs - with no intent to build a product - and draining wallets by preying on the fear of missing out (FOMO)
- The early days of cryptocurrency (2013, 2014), Peter Todd and understanding how trust works
- Explaining some of the terminology in crypto such as FOMO, FUD, antifragile, ambiguity and being comfortable with chaos and volatility
- The importance of spending the time reading and researching about cryptocurrency
- Nicotsia Introduction to Digital Currencies mook
- Swarm intelligence
- The importance of keeping an emotional levelness while navigating a new industry
- The changing dynamics of trust and abstracting identity out of the equation
- Establishing trust via reputation established through algorithms
- Owning and understanding the impact of your personal information and identity
- Questions this movement inspires about the changing dynamics in society
- The Cryptovalues project in Switzerland
- Emerging trends in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space
- The focus on education in the space and the rise of the crypto and blockchain Meetups
- The great talent migration: very senior people in the tech, fintech, healthcare and government communities moving toward cryptocurrency and emerging as advisors on projects
- The Cryptobank project between DigitalFutures B.U.I.L.D. and John Willock
- Polycon 2018
- New emerging technology coming from China that will speed up transactions and address scalability
- AI and machine learning cryptocurrency mining machines
- Consolidation in mining
- Projects promoting regenerative energy
- Greater investment from big banks and traditional investment firms
- Continued prevalence of ‘blockchain in name only’ companies but the emergence of savvy investors who are able to see and fund the projects which have true value
- Retaining the human element in the cryptocurrency community as innovation and business in this space evolves
- The human dynamic of this space and regenerative technology
- Healthier forms of environmental stewardship such as Agriforestry using blockchain to enable proof of vitality or proof of regenerative process
- The Cryptoblock Forum, an organization of Asian, European and North American partners and members engaging with the World Bank, the World Economic Forum and other organizations to look at innovation and create codes of conduct, regulation and governance in the cryptospace
- Plans for the BC and Ontario Cryptoblock Forum chapters in 2018
- Details about the leaders and MaRi’s style of leadership development behind the upcoming Émilie du Châtelet Crypto Philosophy Salon
- Also at the event - a surprise guest, the CEO from TechWorld who will be presenting their report on some of the challenges women face in the industry
MaRi is passionate about community and there is a lot of work to be done. If you’re interested in getting involved reach out to MaRi by email, link with her on LinkedIn and connect with her @MaRiEagar on twitter.
You can find out more about DigitalFutures B.U.I.L.D. and the BC Blockchain Forum by going to their websites and connecting on with DigitalFutures on facebook, BC Blockchain Forum on facebook and @futuresdigital on twitter.
Look for MaRi leading the upcoming Émilie du Châtelet Crypto Philosophy Salon on International Women’s Day, March 8th!